[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Rollei] OT: Acute Matte Screen.. Ebay
- Subject: Re: [Rollei] OT: Acute Matte Screen.. Ebay
- From: TrueBadger
- Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 03:55:44 -0400
In a message dated 5/26/2003 1:13:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, jerryleh writes:
> Yes I may be wrong,. But not if the screen is, as the seller says,
> thinner than the original screen. There just isn't enough room to
> accommodate shims on top of the screen. Though possibly thin
> plastic strips may be bonded to the top of the screen, thereby
> pushing it down to the correct plane.
Here's how you can make a frame-shaped shim out of brass shim stock essentially irrespective of how narrow the sides are:
1. Obtain shim stock of adequate size and the correct thickness.
2. Cement it to an aluminum substrate, using plenty of clamping pressure.
3. Mill the shape you desire using a 1/16" diameter end mill, mill THROUGH the shim stock, but NOT through the aluminum
4. Place the entire milled lamination in a bath of hot sodium hydroxide solution. This will dissolve away the aluminum substrate, leaving the shim intact. If necessary (doubtful that it would be) the epoxy residue can be removed with epoxy solvent.
Now obviously this is not preferable, but it shows that where there is will, there is generally a way.