Re: [Rollei] Re: OT 1911

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2  >
To: <rollei
Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2003 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Rollei] Re: OT 1911

> In the spirit of expanding the expansion, I still kick
myself for long ago
> passing on a Smith and Wesson model 1917 revolver in .45
ACP.  It used two
> half moon clips to hold the rimless cartridges for loading
in the cylinder.
> It was beautifully made, and was issued, along with the
Colt New Army I
> think, possibly due to shortages of the 1911.  Both of
these were 6 shot
> pistols.  I've seen several of the New Army model, but
just the one Smith
> 1917.  The Colt was not bad but lacked the fine finish and
smooth action of
> the Smith. As for the 1911, I agree with all that it is a
fine pistol right
> out of the box.  Given a few hours in the hands of a
skilled pistolsmith
> they can be very nearly perfect.  And this is from me, a
big revolver guy.

  The Colt version was fairly common on the surplus market
many years ago. One could also buy boxes of half moon clips
for next to nothing.
  My somewhat vague memory is that some wartime ACPs were
poorly made, and some had two groove barrels. All this could
be fixed by a gunsmith. Many WW-2 vintage ACPs were
"accurized". I am not sure what that included but probably
adjusting things for better fit. Military guns were made to
have absolutely interchangible parts and  not to be fussy as
you point out. It is a remarkable design. For those not
familiar with the workings of the Colt Automatic Pistol it
can be completely disassembled without tools. Even the
screws holding the stocks on can be removed by using one of
the flat springs in the mechanism. It is quite possible to
learn to disassemble and reassemble one with your eyes
closed.
  The main cause of jamming, as I pointed out before, is bad
springs in the magazines. If the magazines are in good
condition the gun will never jam.
  I am not particularly a shooter (although I love to target
shoot) and not a gun nut, but I like well made machinery of
all sorts hense my interest in both Rollei cameras and some
guns.
- ---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA