[Rollei] Rollei 3.5 E2/3 species

- --part1_20.11da7afd.2c0020e6_boundary

In a message dated 5/23/2003 5:50:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
SandersM   writes:
> What distinguishes the E3 from the E2?

The Rollei E3 3.5 Planar/Xenotar is actually an F/type-1 body and internals
retrofitted with the EVS speed/aperture dials.  Thus, using the F/type-1 body
explains the location of the self-timer, the optically flat glass plate/back
feature, 120/220 convertability, removeable focussing hood and the number of
elements (6) in the respective taking lenses.

Perhaps someone can expand on the shutter/diaphragm differences (not just the
relocation of the self-timer).

The shutter/aperture display in the little window of the new F/type-1 was
returned to the earlier setup in order to accomodate the earlier lockable EVS
dials on the E3.  These had been switched, on the newer F/type-1 body, to
accomodate the linkage to the newly integral meter in the focussing knob and its
filter compensation/film speed dial just to the rear.

This is my absolute favorite Rollei TLR.  I use a hand held meter and, with
the E3, I can forget about cracking the meter's vulnerable, protruding plastic
housing.  I get a better grip on the body without the filter compensation/film
speed dial.  I get a removeable focussing hood and all that that permits in
terms of focussing screens.  I get the 6-element lens.  I can/have modify it
for the 120/220 film feature.  I use the optical flat glass plate/back with
current Kodak films without a hitch.  Not mention the neat-looking EVS dials and
the ingenuity of their design.

What is more, the early 60's was the apex of Rollei mechanical expertise,
construction and assembly by highly skilled German labor wielding dead-blow
hammers.

But hark, I wax rhapsodic...  I do hope this helps.

____Vincent L. Gookin____
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru."

- --part1_20.11da7afd.2c0020e6_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><B><I>In a message dated 5/23/2003 5:50:00 PM Eastern=20=
Daylight Time, SandersM   writes: </B></I><BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">What distinguishes the E3 from=20=
the E2?</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" S=
IZE=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"arial" LANG=3D"0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><B><I><BR>
The Rollei E3 3.5 Planar/Xenotar is actually an F/type-1 body <U>and interna=
ls</U> retrofitted with the EVS speed/aperture dials.&nbsp; Thus, using the=20=
F/type-1 body explains the location of the self-timer, the optically flat gl=
ass plate/back feature, 120/220 convertability, removeable focussing hood an=
d the number of elements (6) in the respective taking lenses.<BR>
<BR>
Perhaps someone can expand on the shutter/diaphragm differences (not just th=
e relocation of the self-timer).<BR>
<BR>
The shutter/aperture display in the little window of the new F/type-1 was re=
turned to the earlier setup in order to accomodate the earlier lockable EVS=20=
dials on the E3.&nbsp; These had been switched, on the newer F/type-1 body,=20=
to accomodate the linkage to the newly integral meter in the focussing knob=20=
and its filter compensation/film speed dial just to the rear.<BR>
<BR>
This is my absolute favorite Rollei TLR.&nbsp; I use a hand held meter and,=20=
with the E3, I can <U>forget </U>about cracking the meter's vulnerable, prot=
ruding plastic housing.&nbsp; I get a better grip on the body without the fi=
lter compensation/film speed dial.&nbsp; I get a removeable focussing hood a=
nd all that that permits in terms of focussing screens.&nbsp; I get the 6-el=
ement lens.&nbsp; I can/have modify it for the 120/220 film feature.&nbsp; I=
 use the optical flat glass plate/back with current Kodak films without a hi=
tch.&nbsp; Not mention the neat-looking EVS dials and the ingenuity of their=
 design.<BR>
<BR>
What is more, the early 60's was the apex of Rollei mechanical expertise, co=
nstruction and assembly by highly skilled German labor wielding dead-blow ha=
mmers.<BR>
<BR>
But hark, I wax rhapsodic...&nbsp; I do hope this helps.<BR>
<BR>
____Vincent L. Gookin____<BR>
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru."<BR>
</B></I></FONT></HTML>
- --part1_20.11da7afd.2c0020e6_boundary--