Re: [Rollei] Re: TEFLON

Are Teflon-coated bullets still available on the open market or have they
been banned?

They were designed to help penetrate bullet-resistant jackets as I recall,
and were somewhat controversial.

http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/basics/copkill.html

http://www.movieprop.com/V/teflon.htm

DAW
===============
At 12:41 PM 5/21/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Marc
>
>I hate to dispute you, but Teflon was used to coat the conveyor
>belts of candy factories in the late 1940's.  Ref: an editorial by
>John Campbell in 1954.
>
>Jerry
>
>Neal Friedenthal wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 May 2003 11:08:18 -0400, Neal Friedenthal wrote:
> >
> > >Absolutely, but it did not find a use for other than lab ware until the
> > >Sneaky Petes pulled it out again in the 1950's for use on arctic gear, and
> > >it was then publicized by NASA in the early 1960's.  Saran Wrap had a
> > >somewhat similar background.
> > >
> > >Marc
> > >

> > >Marc,
> > >
> > >Back in the early 50's Teflon was experimented with as a method to
> prevent jams in machine guns. They coated .30-06 cartridges with green
> Teflon, it
> > worked
> > >fine until the chamber heated to the melt point of the Teflon and then
> created a permanent seal between the casing and the gun. They also tried
> to make
> > >Teflon bullets, (projectiles), but that didn't work that well either.
> > >
> > >Neal F

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA