Re: [Rollei] What did you do in the war? (long)

At 07:16 PM 5/20/03 +0200, Q.G. de Bakker wrote:

>It can be argued that all through the war, the Nobel concern wasn't really a
>German camera concern. It was in Germany, yes, but not German-owned.
>In 1937 the Swiss owner, Thorsch, of what was then called
>"Kamera-Werkstätten Guthe & Thorsch" in Dresden-Niedersedlitz, had good
>reasons to flee what was at that time the "nationalsozialistische Deutsche
>Reich", and placed an advertisment in a Detroit newspaper offering the
>company for sale. Processing lab-owner Charles A. Noble jumped at the
>oppportunity, and bought the company, renaming it "Kamera-Werkstätten C.A.
>Noble".

Well, it was a forced sale, at the best of interpretations.

The Guthe family now run a camera store in the LA area;  the Thorsche
family, to my knowledge, still own the printing plant in Detroit.  As they
sold at a great loss, they were allowed to emigrate and thus avoided the
horrors of the Holocaust.

The Nobles do not have the best of reputations.  I have been in touch by
e-mail with a person claiming to be the current heir, John Noble, and his
statements are, well, rather incredible.

Marc

msmall    FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!