Re: [Rollei] WTB: Series 6 orange filter (Bay 3 would work, too.)

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <TrueBadger  >
To: <rollei
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2003 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Rollei] WTB: Series 6 orange filter (Bay 3
would work, too.)

Time, james_olson   writes:

> > If anyone has an extra Orange series 6 filter, it's
eluded me to this point.
> >  I don't believe Kodak made a Series 6 orange, but any
high quality filter
> > would be great.
> >
> > James.
> >

> I'm pretty sure they did make them.  I have kodak orange
21 in series 6. It seems only reasonable that there are some
15's or 16's out there somewhere.

> Kodak and Tiffen filters would be pretty much equivalent I
think, since both are gel sandwiched between glass.

> Remember, a lot of the old kodak filters didn't carry the
familiar number designations, but used a single-letter
designation instead.  I don't have the book on this handy,
but it could be the filter you want is hiding out there
under a letter designation.

> G. King

   Some common Kodak Wratten filters were/are:
K1 = No.6     Light Yellow
K2 - No.8     Medium Yellow
K3 = No.9     Dark Yellow
X1 = No.11    Medium Yellow-Green
X2 = No.13    Dark Yellow-Green
G  = No.15    Orange (also called very dark yellow)
A  = No.25    Tri-Color Red
F  = No.29    Very Dark Red
B  = No.58    Tri-Color Green
C5 = No 47    Tri-Color Blue

  The Tri-Color series can be used to make color separation
negatives.

There are a large number of other Wratten filters but most
are special use and not commonly encountered. There are was
also a series of filters for aerial photography and motion
picture use. Several are very similar to the standard
filters but have slight differences in
absorption/transmission curves. (Examples othe Aero-1 and
Aero-2, which are similar to the K1 and K2 although not
identical.)
- ---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA