Re: [Rollei] Lens charts

In a message dated 5/8/2003 4:30:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, kaliushkin   writes:

> Where would I find a guide, preferably on-line, to understanding lens
> charts?  Alternatively, if
> it could be put in a few words, please explain here?
>
> I've come across two types of charts:
>
> MTF: http://www.butzi.net/rodenstock/apo-sironar-n/180mm.htm
>
> Modulation:
> http://www.schneideroptics.com/photography/large_format_lens
> es/apo-symmar-L/pdf/ApoSymmarL_56_180.pdf
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan the K.

If you want to do some reading you might try:

"Introduction to the Optical Transfer Function"
Charles S. Williams & Orville A. Becklund
John Wiley & Sons Inc. 1989. ISBN 0-471-94770-9

Also,

Applied Optics and Optical Engineering, Vol II
Kingslake, Academic Press, 1969
Vol II pages 176-182)

And, a later volume in the same series...

Applied Optics and Optical Engineering, Vol VIII
Shannon and Wyant, Academic Press, 1980
ISBN 0-12-408608-X (v.8)

Chapter 6 is on calculation of image quality.

G. King