RE: [Rollei] Incident v. reflective

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C1E245.2D035B20

Bob Shell wrote (edited for space):

>Velvia is, in fact, ISO 50.  There are very strict standards and procedures
>for determining ISO speeds.  The fact that many photographers like the
>results better when they rate it at 40 or 32 does not change that.  When
you
>set your camera to a number other than the rated ISO number that is not an
>ISO speed but an EI, Exposure Index.

Sorry Bob but I disagree. Fuji has always calimed ISO50 but the film
underexposes
terribly at this setting.
When I set my camera it shows ISO40 on the display. You may refer to it as
EI,
but for simplicity sake I avoide semantics and opted to use what is show on
the
display atop my camera.  Call it what you like but the point is at ISO50
Velvia underexposes, the same with other ISO50 films do not, so this is
why I say it is not a "true" ISO50 film. While you may think
otherwise, ISO32 is my setting of choice for this film.

>Generally point and shoot and low end SLRs are set to overexpose on the
>theory that they are being used with color negative film.  Pro cameras are
>usually set up for proper exposure on transparency film.

If you were to use a Wallace Expo Disc you can check the accuracy of the
meter
in your camera. Only my older SLRs were 1/3 overexposing, newer ones are
dead on.  Can't speak to P&S as I know of few that show you their readings.

Peter K

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C1E245.2D035B20

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4915.500" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>Bob Shell wrote (edited for space):<BR><BR>&gt;Velvia is, in fact, ISO
50.&nbsp; There are very strict standards and procedures<BR>&gt;for determining
ISO speeds.&nbsp; The fact that many photographers like the<BR>&gt;results
better when they rate it at 40 or 32 does not change that.&nbsp; When
you<BR>&gt;set your camera to a number other than the rated ISO number that is
not an<BR>&gt;ISO speed but an EI, Exposure Index.<BR><BR>Sorry Bob but I
disagree. Fuji has always calimed ISO50 but the film underexposes<BR>terribly at
this setting.<BR>When I set my camera it shows ISO40 on the display. You may
refer to it as EI,<BR>but for simplicity sake I avoide semantics and opted to
use what is show on the<BR>display atop my camera.&nbsp; Call it what you like
but the point is at ISO50<BR>Velvia underexposes, the same with other ISO50
films do not, so this is<BR>why I say it is not a "true" ISO50 film. While you
may think<BR>otherwise, ISO32 is my setting of choice for this
film.<BR><BR><BR>&gt;Generally point and shoot and low end SLRs are set to
overexpose on the<BR>&gt;theory that they are being used with color negative
film.&nbsp; Pro cameras are<BR>&gt;usually set up for proper exposure on
transparency film.<BR><BR>If you were to use a Wallace Expo Disc you can check
the accuracy of the meter<BR>in your camera. Only my older SLRs were 1/3
overexposing, newer ones are<BR>dead on.&nbsp; Can't speak to P&amp;S as I know
of few that show you their readings.<BR><BR>Peter K </P></BODY></HTML>

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C1E245.2D035B20--