Re: [Rollei] Cleaning camera exterior?

At 09:32 PM 11/20/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Realeye?
>
>Butane is a liquefied (compressed) gas.
>
>"Lighter Fluid" is usually naptha, and is far
>easier to use than butane.
>
>It appears that you talked with a typical
>salesman.:-)
>
>Jerry
>
>Rea1eye   wrote:
>
>>  I once was told by a camera salesman ( at a Chicago Camera Show) that
>>  pure lighter fluid (  butane ) can clean alot of oils and grime off the
>>  exterior.  He said it does not leave much "residue"  because of its
>>  volatility.   I am not sure of this method though.

  I suspect that Naptha would make a mess of the leather because it would
dissolve the coating.
  Saddle soap or prepared leather cleaning creams are effective. Once the
leather is cleaned it can be polished with good quallity shoe polish. Badly
used leather responds to Skuff Kote or similar kids shoe polish, which is
actually a sort of paint.
 Shiny leather, like camera cases, often is coated with lacquer or enamel.
  Neat's foot oil will make old leather more flexible, but won't stop the
progression of leather rot.
- ----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA