Re: [Rollei] "James Bond" Rollei TLR mad the movies

At 03:04 PM 11/18/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>At 11:42 AM 11/18/01 -0800, Richard Knoppow wrote:
>>  I also watched part of another Hawks film "The Big Sleep", with Bogart
>>and Bacall. The camera hidden in the statue is a Zeiss Super Ikonta BX.
>
>I'm kind of a Chandler fan, and I love this film -- though Dick Powell and
>James Garner make better Marlowes.  I hadn't noted that this was a BX and
>had thought it a Super Ikonta B, though.  You have better eyes (and often
>display a far more analytical mind!) than I.
>
>Marc
>
>msmall    FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

 I'd have to see it again to be absolutely sure but I thought it had the
big exposure meter window sitting on top. Someone's personal camera I'll
bet. I also saw some old movie recently where someone was shooting away
with a Contax, Doris Day maybe. I wind up seeing a lot of pieces of movies.
  As you know I am also a Chandler fan and live in the middle of
Chandlerland. I like some of his very early short stories best, the ones he
would not allow to be reprinted during his lifetime. He had borrowed
extensively from them for his novels and was embarassed by it.
  I agree about Bogart but the movie is much changed from Chandler's story
anyway. He cobbled it together from two or three short stories, "Killer in
the Rain" being the main one, and the movie borrowed from some other
stories in addition. The scene where he tosses the gun back to the robber
and then kicks him as he tries to get is borrowed from another sort story,
not sure of the title now, where he is with a cop (who turns out to be the
villian of the piece) up in the hills where they have taken a suspect to
question (and torture) him. The cop puts his gun in the middle of a
clearing and draws lines to stand behind. The suspect (a really bad guy)
keeps trying to get the gun and keeps being kicked. The cop says to Marlowe
at one point, "Guys make good dough doing this, I ought to look into it."
A feeling I've had about many jobs I've had.
  The movie which to me has the stongest flavor of Chandler's writing is
curiously enough not a Chandler story. Its "Double Indemnity" taken from a
James M. Cain novel. Chandler wrote the screen play because Cain was under
contract to M-G-M at the time and couldn't work for Paramount. Cain was
very gracious about the movie saying in some interview that he wished he
had thought of the dictating machine as a narrative mechanism and liked
Chandler's version of the story better than his own. Quite something since
Chandler evidently despised Cain's writing, saying in one letter, that Cain
"wrote like a rutting billygoat".
  The sexuality of both writers makes an intersting study but is far
removed from Rolei or even Zeiss.
- ----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA