Re: Filter factors

Marc,

"Chris

Above 5,000 feet, a UV filter should be used with all films to reduce the
blue cast caused by lower air density.  See any of the Leica Manuals for a
discussion.

Marc"

You just wrote that Leica recommends the use of UV filters above 5000 feet.
This is the wrong forum, but I have always thought that Leica lenses, at
least those made in the last three decades, do not need UV filters. In fact,
Leica people do not use filters or flashes.

By the way, can you refer me to the Leica manual that states that UV filters
should be used above 5000 feet. Here, we are just at that altitude. -At
higher altitudes, the air is too thin to support life, especially while
carrying an SL66 with a sports finder and a couple of rolls of 120 film.

I have also heard that the rule of "sunny 16" does not apply here in
Colorado. In fact, I heard this from a local LF/Lugnut (spent most of his
life in Hoboken, NJ) who uses red filters a lot and does not like color.

Also, do Zeiss lenses use a different coating tricks than Leica? As far as I
know, Zeiss does not claim that UV is absorbed by something they put in
their lenses. I must admit, however, that I only own two Zeiss lenses and a
pair of binoculars and do not have any Zeiss manuals. I have many Leica
manuals, but have never seen this statement in any one of them. Please
correct me if I am wrong.

If Zeiss lenses are, indeed, organically different from Leica lenses, I will
need to invest in a UV filter for my SL66. This troubles me deeply since
such filters are known to cost more than the 80mm Planar (not HFT), which is
my principal and only lens on the SL66.

May be we should move this thread to the Leica forum?

Best of Light

Chris